English Bulldog also suffers from skin problems. Do not worry because home remedies are available in treating this condition. To determine the allergens, visit the vet. Mange can be treated with shampoos and cream at home. With the treatments below it can heal on its own:
- Bath your dog in shampoo containing benzoyl peroxide
- for faster healing and affected area use Goodwinol ointment
- One of the most effective relief is Pierce's All Purpose Nu-Stock. It is also beneficial for
- Use teat tree oil on affected area
Home remedies for yeast and bacterial infections include:
- Chlorhexamine can be used to treat skin staph and fungal infections. Bath your dog in it.
Remember to read the label.
- Apply Monistat or Gynolotramin for yeast infections.
- Bactoderm is normally prescribed by the vet and is used for bacterial skin infections
- Panalog- is effective due to the combination of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
- Tresaderm- suitable for ears which has bacterial, fungal or inflammatory infections
- To treat hot spot, use Gold Bond powder
- To heal hot spots and skin irritation, Calendula ointment is recommended.
- To allow skin irritation to heal faster, shave of the fur so it allow the air to flow feely.
- Use Vaseline for dry and irritated skin
- Give your dog medication prescribe from the vet such as steroids and oral antibiotoc
- For emergency use liquid form of Benadryl (dosage: 1mg per pound, use children's
size). It helps in allergic reactions like watery eyes, chewing of paws cause by pollen and
dust and hives.
- Use an Elizabethan collar to avoid your dog from scratching, biting, and licking affected area.
You can also buy herbs from shops to help your dog's condition. Read the instructions and use for a week and stop using it if it worsens. These herbs are German chamomile flower, burdock root, curled dock root, liquorice root and southernwood.
Apply calendula cream on rash and gently rub into the skin. This helps in soothing the itch on the skin. Removing what your dog is allergic too either in his environment or diet will help with his allergies.
Strong immune system is needed for your dog to fight off the allergens. Don't give your dogs food that will trigger the allergy such as corn, wheat and yeast. There are a few companies that specialized in bulldog's food such as California Natural, Pinnacle special diets, Innova, and Royal Canine Bulldog 24. Read the ingredients on the dog food package or stick to raw diets.
Bathe your dog in insecticide recommended by your vet to kill fleas, ticks and mites. You can also use medicated shampoo such as Chlorohexamine or ointment such as Goodwinol before bathing your dog. If there is any problem affecting the feet area, soak the paws in Epsom salts. Then rub the paws with mild lotion.
It is easy to see when a bulldog is allergic either to his food or air: When he keeps on licking his paw.