Sunday, July 4, 2010

Food Dogs Should Not Eat

Many pet owners like to feed their dogs scraps from the table as a little treat. In most cases, this habit will not lead to any serious health problems. However, there are some foods that a dog should absolutely never eat because they can lead to serious issues and, in some cases, even death.

Some people believe that it is a misconception that dogs cannot eat chocolate but, in truth, chocolate is actually very dangerous for dogs. The caffeine in chocolate acts as a stimulant and can cause their hearts to beat irregularly or accelerate, which can lead to seizures or cardiac arrest. Chocolate also acts as a diuretic and causes severe diarrhea and vomiting. If someone even suspects that their dog may have ingested chocolate, they should take them to an animal hospital immediately.

Another food that many people do not realize can be harmful to dogs is onions. Onions are particularly dangerous because they cause a breakdown in the red blood cells of the dog, which means that oxygen will not travel properly throughout their bodies. Symptoms can include vomiting and diarrhea, as well as loss of appetite, exhaustion and fever. If someone has fed their dog onions before and has not had a problem, they should be aware that these symptoms can develop over time if a dog continues to eat onions.

There are some dog owners who are less than responsible and think that it is funny to feed their dog alcoholic beverages such as beer. This is a terrible idea because the body of a dog is not equipped to process alcohol. As a result, dogs are very susceptible to alcohol poisoning and even a small amount of alcohol can lead to serious digestive problems or even death.

Bread dough is also a human food that can be very dangerous for a dog if they eat it. Since it is so soft, dogs usually swallow bread without chewing it and then their body heat causes it to rise. This can lead to severe bloating and vomiting. In addition, the rising action of the bread can create an alcoholic by-product which is extremely dangerous for dogs.

In most cases, it is safe for a dog owner to feed their pet scraps from their table every now and then. However, they should be aware of what they are feeding their dog and the effect that it will have on their bodies. An occasional treat is fine, but there are some human foods that can have serious and potentially fatal effects on a beloved pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment